Opening Up New Worlds...
AHF Magazine is dedicated to promoting alternate history and the associated genres of Science Fiction, Steampunk, Historical Fiction and Fantasy. Writers of Historical features are also welcome to submit.
AHF Magazine prefers submissions that meet the following criteria:-
- flash fiction or short stories on an alternate history theme
- art work, poetry and miscellany with an alternate history theme
- book features in the genre
- reviews of books, films and television programmes in the genre, whether new or classic
- interviews with authors or artists in the genre
- press releases about books in the genre are welcome from authors or their publishers
- where possible, please include a small biography and any social media links for all submissions, and for artistic works a blurb about the art piece
Please meet the following physical requirements
- written in a free-flowing textual format (docx, doc, rtf, odt etc.). Please do not send us PDFs, or articles saved in Pages format. PDFs are not free-flowing and require heavy editing to remove the line breaks. Pages for Mac can save the document in rtf format, so if relevant, please use this.
- generally a word count of 1000 to 3000 words, though this is flexible and there is potential to serialise longer articles over more than one issue
- we prefer attachments, although poems or articles within the email body are accepted also
- unless there is an artistic reason for using a dramatic font, we prefer single-spaced 12 point Times New Roman; all submissions will be changed into this unless there is a specific request not to
Open Submissions Policy
We have an open submissions policy and all submissions will receive an acknowledgment and one of the following responses:-
- request for changes
We aim to reply within a week from receiving the submission, and usually it will be within the first day or two. If we have too many submissions for immediate issues, we may request that we file you as pending for inclusion in a later issue; it is up to you to accept this, or choose to resubmit at a later date.
How To Query and Submit
AHF Magazine prefers all submissions to be made electronically by email, but messaging on social media is acceptable to query. The ability to send postal submissions is available on request (an address will be emailed to you). Agents or representatives of authors, artists etc may telephone the editor to enquire about a feature for their client.
As we claim no copyright on submissions, we are receptive to simultaneous submissions, but please note that if it is agreed that we publish it, we do not guarantee to remove it afterwards if you require this for another publication you have submitted to.
You may submit as many pieces you wish per issue, but if we decide to use any, we will choose which one, or ones, of those you submitted that we wish to feature. Our decision to publish some of the pieces in a bulk submission does not imply our acceptance of those we do not choose to publish.
As AHF Magazine does not claim copyright on submissions, we will accept pieces that have been displayed previously on personal websites, bulletin boards, and writing websites. We are open to Republishing, but please ensure, if submitting something classed as published elsewhere, that you have not already assigned copyright, or if you have that their rules allow republishing with, or without, acknowledgment.
Submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
By agreeing to be published in AHF Magazine you signify the acceptance of the following Terms and Conditions. Please make sure you have a read through of them. We have crafted them so as to be to the best advantage of both parties.
- For submitted fiction, articles, essays, poems and art work all copyright remains with the original author, who hereby gives AHF Magazine the right to publish in the issue in question, to use extracts solely for the purposes of marketing and promotion, and to keep the issue in print as long as the Editor deems appropriate. Author photographs, book covers and small extracts may be placed on either the Wolfian Press' or AHF's websites for this purpose - you may request that we do not, if you wish.
- Copyright is vested in AHF Magazine for articles, interviews and features that are created by the Editor. We will inform you as a courtesy if the article, interview or feature is to be used for purposes other than above. If we use your artwork in an article, we make no claims on it, and if we wish to use the article elsewhere we will contact you and request permission to include your artwork.
- If a work accepted for publication in AHF Magazine turns out to breach copyright the author, who retains sole copyright, shall be solely liable.
- Pursuant to the above, AHF Magazine does not accept fiction or derivative art works that would require a copyright release. Please note, that a recent ruling in the US has placed the original Sherlock Holmes stories out of copyright and we will consider fiction that is based on these, but note that anything subsequent to 1920 remains in copyright
- As a publication AHF Magazine has a duty to ensure, where possible, that articles are not libelous or actionable, and may reject articles on that basis, or request that changes be made. Our failure to do so does not imply liability, and the author shall be solely liable.
- AHF Magazine does not pay for submissions, interviews or featured articles. All submissions, interviews and featured articles are accepted on this basis. All accepted authors and artists will receive a personal DRM-free copy of the e-magazine in the format requested (epub, mobi or pdf).
- AHF Magazine does not charge for inclusion, and unpublished first-time authors, essayists and artists are not only welcome but invited to submit. Non-payment does not extend to advertisements and sponsored features, which will be clearly marked.
- The sole right to decide which submissions are accepted for publication rests with the Editor. Anything accepted for publication will be published in the first issue with vacancies, and it is understood that this may not be the immediately pending issue. Exceptions will apply for themed issues where submissions are accepted well in advance and will be held over to be published in the intended special issue.
- Acceptance does not imply a legal contract.
- Invitations to submit a story, poem, article or other feature do not comprise a contract to publish. Confirmation will be made by the Editor after assessing quality and relevance of the received submission.
Articles, Features and Reviews accepted for submission may be edited for sense or grammar. This will not apply to short stories or poems that are accepted; if we have queries about these, we will contact you before confirming acceptance for publication.
Sign up for Our NewsletterClick Here!
© Copyright © 2018 Alternate History Fiction all rights reserved